<

Monday, September 26, 2005

at the Fair, part II

I forgot to post about this incident when husband and I did the State Fair last week:

we stopped by a booth in the Expo Hall for some ice cream. Husband was wearing a t-shirt from my previous congregation. The man who sold us the ice cream said, "St. Xs Episcopal Church? Where is that?" We explained to him that it was on the Illinois side of the St. Louis area, and he asked me if I knew a particular Lutheran church (LCMS). Sure I did (of course, I didn't mention that I knew it mostly because they had exiled the members of the ELCA congregation I worked closely with back during the turbulent Seminex years). This guy's dad had been the pastor, and he was himself a retired LCMS pastor.

So after this brief preamble, he looks at us and asks, "So, where do you stand on same-sex marriage?"

So in one stop we got our ice cream, cooed at the chicks in the incubator, and discussed the major controversial issues of the day. (Which he was very polite about even though I'm sure he didn't agree with us).

2 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger geebrooke said...

"...and they'll know we are Christians by where we stand on same-sex marriage, by where we stand on same-sex marriage. Yes, they'll know we are Christians by where we stand on same-sex marriage."

(Sorry: Really not lashing out at the guy. Just a bit sad and bemused by the whole state of the Thing.)

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I like Brooke's comment so much that I forgot what I was going to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home