<

Friday, January 07, 2005

no creative title here

because I've been busy with Blogging Episcopalians. Woo hoo. We have 5 official sites and 1 in the queue. I've had to wrestle with my fears of code--not that I have any deep issues from having to write early BASIC programs on cards back in high school and college.

Meanwhile, DH and I were off at a MO Clergy Day on the Windsor Report yesterday. The more I look at it, the more I like the vision of communion and the theological underpinnings laid out in parts A and B, but not sure that C and D (the recommendations) live up to it. Especially the addition of structures based around a bishop in a small northern country selected by the government. I assume the Holy Spirit can move in the lives of Tony Blair and the UK Parliament, but I'm not sure that's what the apostles had in mind (although since they picked Matthias by lot, who can say?).

I'm still wrestling with the idea of what, exactly, is Anglicanism? And while I think the description of the Communion in the Windsor Report was pretty full (I especially resonate with the web of relationships, which is what putting a webring together is designed to enhance), I feel there's something missing. There's a poetic spirit in Anglicanism that I have not found in other denominations, as I roam. Julian of Norwich, George Herbert, the other Divines, even the language of Cranmer, there's an attention to beauty and aesthetic as part of our theological reflection. At our worst it gets watered down to a sense of "good taste." And I'm not sure how to define it in theological terms.

Today, however, I am taking a dear friend for part II of her Christmas present, which is a trip to Myers House to pick out fabric for a needle case for her sewing supplies. And if we happen to wander upstairs to the yarn, well. . .

2 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Dawgdays said...

All of the links work but one - the top one. It points to episcoblog.blogspot.com, whereas the site is really episcoblogs.blogspot.com

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Thanks, Wes! I thought I had it all corrected on the ringsurf page, but it must not have saved properly. I think it's fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home