<

Monday, February 14, 2005

a full life

Thanks to Karen of Kinesis, I found myself tramping through Forest Park in a downpour yesterday morning. Just me and the ducks there for awhile. I'm not as sore as she was, but some muscles are definitely protesting this morning.

I haven't posted much this week because I spent Wednesday and Thursday on the road. I've been supplying for St. Paul's in Sikeston, MO, a smaller church about 2 1/2 hours south of St. Louis. What had been planned as a leisurely excursion down and back for Ash Wednesday services turned into an early morning drive for an 11:00 memorial service, followed by the aforementioned 6 p.m. service, dinner at the Elks Club (best moment--the host of dinner told the server to put the priest's dinner on his bill and she kept looking at our table for the "Father"), and a trip from Sikeston to Louisiana, MO--an hour and a half north of St. Louis--for the graveside service. The cemetery is on a cliff overlooking the Mississippi River, but because of the snow and the wind chill we didn't get to the top, where the family plot was, but huddled in a "pavilion" (a name which brings to mind more tropical weather) for the service.

A note to those people working on the next incarnation of Episcopal liturgy--some options for expanding the graveside service that are actually written in the rubrics would be helpful. There are so many occasions where the service is separate from the memorial service itself--and there's nothing like driving 6 hours for a 15 minute service where half the people didn't attend the first one to drive it home. I expanded it as best I could--considering the weather, I don't think anyone was really minding its brevity, but it would be nice if some rubrical consideration was given the next time around.

I don't dare blog about the Illini lest I jinx them (bad theology but as a long-suffering Cubs fan, one always has to be careful).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home