<

Friday, October 14, 2005

cats making themselves useful

After a week of deep pondering of spirituality and the church out at St. Crispin's, this week has been immersed in the challenges of managing a household.

In addition to the earlier obstacles listed, I also managed to lose (and find) the mailbox key. So, Cathy, I'm with you on that lost music. (The key was under the car seat).

For the past couple of days, Hootie the cat has been hanging out in the kitchen, in front of the refrigerator. Usually he only does this when there is food preparation going on that he thinks is going to result in treats for him. Then, last night, Wilbur had joined him, and was in full stalk mode.

I figured it out, watching Wilbur. We had a mouse (hopefully just one). This was confirmed when the creature stuck his head out.

I've dissected the obligatory fetal pig, I've excavated skeletons, I have no problems going after bugs, but it turns out, live mousy creatures are a bit too much for me.

Well, we set about thoroughly cleaning the kitchen. Then we left the lights on in the kitchen and closed the door to our bedroom, to encourage the cats to continue their vigil.

Husband reported feline success when he got up for his 7 a.m. Eucharist this morning.

They're still hanging around the kitchen, but Wilbur doesn't seem to be in full prey mode. So I'm not sure if there's more, or if, as with wet food and supervised visits to the patio, kitty hope springs eternal.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cats are the embodiment of hope. I have one that sleeps in front of the oven, waiting all year round for the Thanksgiving turkey

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ppb I like your cat. It's just like me :)

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

I remember many years ago sitting in my mother's living room watching TV. Her cat, Bubba, was snoozing away. A field mouse ran across the rug. The cat barely opened one eye as it ran past. I yelled "Get it, Bubba" but nothing happened. I got up and lifted Bubba (no mean feat) and tossed her in the direction of the mouse. Suddenly the genetic instincts kicked in and she went into full attack mode (toward the mouse, not me, thank goodness). She earned her keep for that one moment of predatory glory!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home