<

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

the rewards of slackerdom

If you've been with me for awhile, you know that this summer was my first attempt at any serious gardening. I killed a few plants on the patio, but I also managed to harvest some yellow squash, some grape tomatoes, and some Patio tomatoes, and a number of herbs.

Then there was the Lemon Boy tomato plant. It produced two yummy yellow tomatoes right at the start of the season, and then, nothing. Nada. I got some clusters of grape tomatoes, ate the Patios, and wondered what to do about the Lemon Boys. Blossoms would come and go. Nothing. But it was too hot and I was too lazy to figure out what to do. Or too codependent. I kept watering, in hope, like the Cubs fan I was brought up to be. There was no obvious signs of disease or infestation.

This week I decided to really clean up the patio. Husband and I swept up the leaves that have blow in over the walls, and I tossed out the most egregiously dead items. And as I was preparing to finally cut the Lemon Boy down, my eyes were caught by this:

 


And there's more, like four or five! I had moved the tomatoes to a more sunnier location when the sun's angle changed, and look what happened.

With our unseasonably warm temperatures, I'm hoping to keep these going long enough to harvest. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Annie,

I had tried the shaking the plants route, and nothing had happened.

Our patio stays pretty warm, and we didn't get any frost a couple of weeks ago. I had thrown a sheet over my tenderest plants and clustered them in the warmest part of the patio. I think I'll be able to hang in there with them unless it gets bitterly cold shortly.

Tomatoes aside, I am ready to wear some sweaters!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger geebrooke said...

We had a smattering of late green yellow-plum tomatoes, and so I got a chance to learn that the put-em-in-a-paper-bag trick works very well. Adding an apple to the bag helps, also.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a cheering sight!

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Leslee said...

Praise God! Enjoy your 'maters

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredibly, despite several hard frosts so far, we are still getting tomatoes even in Norhern VA (and still cutting roses!)

I love the pumpkin!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Rob,

Welcome! You're reminding me of the other lesson I learned this summer--it's not an exact science and plants have a mind/will of their own (smile).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home