<

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

the rewards of slackerdom

If you've been with me for awhile, you know that this summer was my first attempt at any serious gardening. I killed a few plants on the patio, but I also managed to harvest some yellow squash, some grape tomatoes, and some Patio tomatoes, and a number of herbs.

Then there was the Lemon Boy tomato plant. It produced two yummy yellow tomatoes right at the start of the season, and then, nothing. Nada. I got some clusters of grape tomatoes, ate the Patios, and wondered what to do about the Lemon Boys. Blossoms would come and go. Nothing. But it was too hot and I was too lazy to figure out what to do. Or too codependent. I kept watering, in hope, like the Cubs fan I was brought up to be. There was no obvious signs of disease or infestation.

This week I decided to really clean up the patio. Husband and I swept up the leaves that have blow in over the walls, and I tossed out the most egregiously dead items. And as I was preparing to finally cut the Lemon Boy down, my eyes were caught by this:

 


And there's more, like four or five! I had moved the tomatoes to a more sunnier location when the sun's angle changed, and look what happened.

With our unseasonably warm temperatures, I'm hoping to keep these going long enough to harvest. Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Annie said...

You didn't have a freeze a while back? Cover it with plastic if a slight freeze does come along. If the weatherman predicts a hard freeze, just pick the tomatoes and put them in a sunny window. They will continue to ripen.

The blossoms might have been dropping because they weren't being pollinated. All you have to do is shake the limb close to the flower slightly.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Annie,

I had tried the shaking the plants route, and nothing had happened.

Our patio stays pretty warm, and we didn't get any frost a couple of weeks ago. I had thrown a sheet over my tenderest plants and clustered them in the warmest part of the patio. I think I'll be able to hang in there with them unless it gets bitterly cold shortly.

Tomatoes aside, I am ready to wear some sweaters!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger G. Brooke said...

We had a smattering of late green yellow-plum tomatoes, and so I got a chance to learn that the put-em-in-a-paper-bag trick works very well. Adding an apple to the bag helps, also.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Songbird said...

What a cheering sight!

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Ah ... I've tried shaking them before too and it didn't always work. If I don't forget, I'll check Organic Gardener sometime for you and see what they say about it. It might be some sort of nutrient problem. (That is the best book, if you intend to keep gardening--a regular gardeners bible, if you will.)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Leslee said...

Praise God! Enjoy your 'maters

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

Incredibly, despite several hard frosts so far, we are still getting tomatoes even in Norhern VA (and still cutting roses!)

I love the pumpkin!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Rob,

Welcome! You're reminding me of the other lesson I learned this summer--it's not an exact science and plants have a mind/will of their own (smile).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home