<

Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Music Friday Five

1) If you had to choose CDs as a soundtrack for the Christmas season, what would they be?

The Miserable Offenders' Christmas album. Sweet and spicy. And it has an Advent hymn for full seasonal coverage.

2) How do you feel about singing all the verses of "The First Noel?" (Six in our hymnal, but apparently there are nine.) I don't have the Episcopal hymnal close at hand, so I can't check how many verses. I believe in all the verses, especially on a big day like Christmas.

3) "O, Come All Ye Faithful" has a lot of verses, too. Which is your favorite? The first one, because I always think of starting down the aisle and the opening of the Christmas Eve service

4) What music do you play while opening presents? I don't know that we have an established family tradition on that, yet. Will report back!

5) Which carols do you consider to be Christmas Eve essentials? "Away in a Manger," "Joy to the World," "O Little Town of Bethlehem," "Angels We have Heard on High," "Greensleeves," "In the Bleak Midwinter," "Go Tell it on the Mountain," oh, dear, frankly, forget the homily and the prayers, let's just sing and celebrate Eucharist.

and a Bonus Question:

6) What, if any, is your favorite secular Christmas song? I have a soft spot for secular Christmas music, too, it just hits a different note. I am fond of John Mellencamp's cover of "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." I love his arrangement of it, with percussion and fiddle. I have a twisted sense of humor, so I love all the funny Christmas songs--including those Canadian comics' version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

My favorite Christmas song (and it changes between a few every year) is Coventry Carole. The tune has a haunting (lingering with you kind of haunting) quality to it and I love it.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Coventry Carol is one of my absolutest favoritest pieces as well--originally discovered on one of those Very Special Christmas albums (I think #1).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home