<

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

other tasks as assigned

I've been having some trouble with my squash. The plant is huge, has sprouted the appropriate squash blossoms, but the resulting fruit have been somewhat underdeveloped.

After some research, I've discovered that I probably don't have any bees visiting the flowers in the morning, transferring the pollen from the male flowers to the female flowers. So tomorrow morning, I'm going to take on my new role as pollinator and fertilize the appropriate blooms.

Many, many double entendres and puns come to mind, none of which seem appropriate for this dignified person of the cloth (oh please, I can't even write THAT with a straight face).

(I do have flowers out that are bee attracters, but they're probably having trouble finding the sheltered courtyard behind our townhouse. I did spot a butterfly taking in the lantana and the gallardia this afternoon, which pleased me considerably. With the exception of the hoped-for pollinators, it is certainly ALIVE back there on the patio--caterpillars, a ladybug or two, the passing butterfly. But currently only one unsmooshed grasshopper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home