<

Monday, May 08, 2006

Mass on the Grass

I am a church rat. I love churches. I'm always fascinated by them and have been since I was a child, when I insisted that we take the "Super Tour" at Westminster Abbey. There is something about places that have been prayed in over time. That being said, I love getting out of the building. 
Sunday we took our act on the road (okay, it was just across the street at the big park). We rented a picnic pavilion and celebrated Mass on the Grass. It was a nice fit for Good Shepherd Sunday (although I hadn't planned that--we just picked a date on the calendar when we knew it wasn't going to be too hot.) Actually, it was even pretty chilly yesterday. 
Getting out of the building is so important because it really lets us all loosen up a bit. And I think it makes us pay more attention to what's going on. Things we take for granted in our regular space can become highlighted (or discarded, if they're just not that important). I particularly enjoyed being in this space because the best way to set up was to be in the round. Everyone sat at the picnic tables, which then turned into our lunch tables. A nice connection between the two meals. 
A picnic table spread with a cloth becomes an altar. God can break in even into the most mundane of settings. 
Just a nice loaves and fishes kind of day. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

Worship outside. I couldn't help but remember when a few years back I got on to my youngest son about his sloppy church attendance. His response was, "Dad, I honestly believe you can worship God when your hiking in the wilderness."

I ddn't argue, but in the room adjacent to the entry to the chancel there was a phone (no ringer but it worked). I made it a practice for about three months to call him just as the morning worship was beginning. When he'd answer, I'd say, "Why aren't you hiking in the wilderness?"

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger bls said...

I love masses on grasses. I go to one near me that's held every Wednesday in the summer. Lovely to be in God's beautiful world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home