<

Monday, May 26, 2008

all creatures great and small

I have to say, that when we drove down to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge last week, I kept my expectations low. It was hot and sticky, and I wasn't sure we would actually get to see any animals. Having lived in the desert for years, I know that creatures don't always come out close to humans in the hot weather.

 


It's good to be wrong.

(Is it just me, or do you want to reach out and scratch the rest of that hide off? Or am I the only one thinking "and how exactly does that turn into buffalo yarn?)

Further to the west, we made two visits to Prairie Dog Town. Some of the prairie dogs whose territory is closest to the road are used to being fed, despite the signs, and come right up to you. Others make a dive for their holes when the big scary humans come along.

 



But maybe when the humans don't move around so much they start to feel it's okay to come out and check what the world is up to.

 


 


We've bookmarked this as a definite return trip. I can't wait to go back when it's a tad cooler and do some hiking.
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if you happened to go to Meers for a famous Meers Burger but it is right there by the wildlife reserve. They are extremely good!!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Meers was incredibly crowded with a big bicycle race, so we went back to Medicine Park and had lunch by the river, which worked, too!

We're definitely going back.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I love the Wichita Mtns! I really don't care how hot it is either. I once took my nephews over to Elk City and we hiked all over the nature preserve near there, even though it was 107 degrees.....

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pix!!! Love the prairie dog ones. Glad you had a good time away.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Muser Grace said...

Hey! I discovered your blog through RevGal and am really enjoying it. I LOVE that you have Julian's hazlenut quotation at the top. I recently blogged about that section of _The Showings_ (http://musings-musings-musings.blogspot.com/2008/04/bodies-bodies-bodies.html). Especially enjoyed your post on exile. Thanks! I'll be back for more!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Muser Grace said...

Hey! I discovered your blog through RevGal and am really enjoying it. I LOVE that you have Julian's hazlenut quotation at the top. I recently blogged about that section of _The Showings_ (http://musings-musings-musings.blogspot.com/2008/04/bodies-bodies-bodies.html). Especially enjoyed your post on exile. Thanks! I'll be back for more!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger liturgy said...

Emily -
I've been here before
& enjoy it.
Have you been to my "Liturgy"
www.liturgy.co.nz
I hope you will place a link to it and let me know
so I acknowledge that and link back.
Blessings

 

Post a Comment

<< Home