<

Thursday, March 16, 2006

another Wednesday in the wilderness

We did part two of our time in the wilderness at Bible study last night.

We picked up our wilderness stories with Exodus 15:22, where the Israelites do such an about-face from rejoicing at God saving them from the Egyptians, to whining and muttering about not having any water to drink.

The section that really spoke to me last night was the next chapter, 16, which deals with the manna. The Israelites complain that in Egypt, at least, they were full of bread and meat. Then God provides manna and quail, just enough for everyone.

The New Interpreter's commentary set up a nice contrast between the false sensation of fullness that slavery provided (probably even some selective memory going on here), and the food provided by God. God gave them just enough, no matter who collected what, and provided for a rest day. The commentary contrasted that to the episode where the Israelites are sent to get straw for bricks--there isn't enough, they're set an impossible task, and they're not allowed to rest.

I think there are more Pharoahs around then we would like to think.

6 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger see-through faith said...

what a terrific post :) Thank you. I'd never thought about that before.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Wayne said...

But how many times does God give me just enough and I'm still not satisfied? Sometimes I think if God gave me all the chocolate I wanted I'd complain He made me fat! I can get through the Pharaohs it's that I'm too much of an Israelite for comfort.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Wayne,

Well, of course, the next story after the manna includes the Israelites complaining (again) that they don't have any water.

There are never enough miracles for us, I think.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

I've always liked the modern translation of The Lord's Prayer which says " .... Give us today the bread we need ..."

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Hey Emily - maybe we can meet for lunch on a nice day and knit in the park or something.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great food for thought. Never enough miracles to suit us, as though each day the sun rises isn't miracle enough!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home