<

Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday meme

via St. Casserole--(thanks, St. C--I needed a writing prompt this morning).

Do you wear a cross?
Many days.

Is there a particular time or place that you consider wearing a cross? I wear one mainly at work, sometimes on days off.

Where do you wear it? I have a Jerusalem cross on a long chain that I wear as a necklace Sometimes I wear a seminary ring with the same Jerusalem cross on it.

What does the cross look like? It is a silver James Avery Jerusalem cross with the Trinity at the center and the initials of my seminary on the arms. On the back is the year of my graduation and my initials. I have another important cross that is an openwork crucifix that I wear during Holy Week.

Who gave the cross to you or did you choose it? The Seabury cross is given to us right before our graduation from seminary. A friend gave me the Seabury ring to celebrate me receiving postulancy (the first step in the Episcopal ordination proces). The openwork crucifix was a gift from a woman at the church I attended in Tucson. I was going through some difficult times and it meant so much to me.

Is this your favorite cross, if so, why? What does wearing a cross mean to you? I love the Seabury cross for a few reasons--the aesthetic (who doesn't love James Avery), its weight and length of chain (it's slightly heavy, I'm always aware that I have it on), and for who and what it reminds me of. When I wear it, not only do I feel aware of being a follower of Christ, but also that I am connected to Seaburians far and wide. And I am reminded of what was a very positive experience for me, the discovery of vocation. Thinking about the community and the Trinity on the cross is a real support.

When I wear the crucifix during Holy Week, it reminds me of what we're about that week, as well as connecting me to a particular wilderness period and the knowledge that those wilderness periods do come to an end, soemtimes in surprising ways.

7 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

oh, i love those Seabury crosses for all those reasons. Thanks for the reminder, I haven't worn my for a while now.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger St. Casserole said...

Thanks for sharing when and why you wear a cross. I'll look for a Seabury cross because I'm not sure I've ever seen one. We have a grad down here and I'll ask him about it. My seminary gave me a quick handshake when I graduated. That's all (and a lovely theological education, of course!)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I'll try and remember to post a photo of one in the near future. Hopefully your neighbor didn't lose his in Katrina (in fact, if he did, let me know--we can certainly organize a replacement).

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Annie said...

It's a peaceful meme. :) IF I manage to get out of this wilderness ...

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

All 3 of my favorite crosses are James Avery - I have a few others, but rarely have worn them. Don't know if I know what a Seabury cross looks like, but I bet I can find it through Google

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

When I googled for Seabury crosses, I got a lot of faucets...but did see a Jerusalem cross drawn on a sidewalk with chalk. Interesting....

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I wore an Avery Jerusalem cross for years. Bought it at the Grace gift shop, misplaced it about a year and a half ago, mourned, got another Avery I love, bought one on Ebay so I'd have one, found it again, but Maggie-cat chewed on the ribbon it was on so I haven't worn it since. I'd love to see the Seabury cross because I love Avery's work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home