<

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Illinois driver

I'm back from my one week adventure in St. Louis--home of good friends, Ted Drewes', and, at this moment, a surfeit of water.

More on the water in another post.

When I first got to St. Louis last Friday, Large Car Rental Company upgraded me to a bigger car when the one I had reserved wasn't there (is there anyone else besides me who wonders about the whole point of reservations?)
 


As I was signing all the requisite paperwork, which included a form that told me I could drive unlimited mileage in Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas, the Renter Dude (I'm sure that's his official title) said, "You're not driving into Illinois,are you?"

Having lived on both sides of the river, I always find the attitudes of many in the St. Louis area about people on "the other side" to be very amusing. I knew plenty of folks in the Metro East who didn't venture over to St. Louis, and vice versa. My favorite sign on Highway 40 was "Last Missouri Exit"--also there's one on I-44 that notes it's the "Last Rest Area in Missouri."

I pointed out that I would be most certainly driving in Illinois, and he made a fuss about "noting that on the form." After he left and I was getting settled into the car, I had a good laugh when I saw the license plate.

 



God forbid one should drive a car registered in Illinois in--Illinois.
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As long as you stay out of the water, right? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home