<

Saturday, June 21, 2008

a yarn of a tale

Or, how I went to St. Louis on a yarn pilgrimage.

I wasn't able to go to St. Louis KIP b/c my friend Jane and I were on an equally
important quest--that of the Saturday morning farmer's market. We hit the one in Clayton first, followed by a further jaunt to Soulard and pub lunch at the new Llewellyn's. Yum. But I did see St. Louis knitters publicly knitting when I dropped by Knitty Couture before heading off to
see friends in Webster Groves.

Monday brought more yarn.

 


That is the one and only Myers House. Guaranteed to enhance your stash, because how can you resist yarn in a historic house? The pull of the house's charm is so strong that the fabric store on the first floor, which one must trek through to reach the yarn-laden second floor, always makes me want to start quilting. (As I walked through on this trip I repeated to myself "I hate ironing. I hate ironing." This saved me from succumbing to the lure of the fabric until I was safely on the stairs.)

Tuesday morning I was trying to figure out whether I could squeeze in a trip to an LYS when I realized I was about to drive by the (also new to me) Kirkwood Knittery. How convenient that they were right on the way to my friends' house in Webster! Didn't even have to go out of my way.

Tuesday night Jane and I found ourselves picnicking in Forest Park before seeing "The Producers" at the Muny. (I had not seen the theatrical production or the movie of the musical. You have to love a friend whose idea of a picnic before theater includes vichysoisse in green plastic martini glasses. Bolstered by our dinner, I knit my way through the talking head introduction and the intermission at the Muny:

 


Wednesday evening Jane (did I mention what a good friend Jane is?) and I hit Busch Stadium to take in a Cards game and I had my very own Stitch 'n' Pitch:

 


Thursday I had one last day in St. Louis and I made it count. First, a trip to The Loopy Ewe during their open hours:

 
Posted by Picasa


(I called Kay while standing here in front of the wall of Lorna's Laces.) Then I continued on to see Knitorious in their new location (or at least, new to me) on S. Watson Road.

Last, but certainly not least, since I had not had a chance to Knit in Public under the Arch on the 14th, and since I was curious about the water levels on the Mississippi, I trekked down to the Arch steps (warning--just to get into the Arch these days, even if you just want to use the bathrooms, is an undertaking that rivals going to the airport. Do not be in a hurry to get to the bathroom. Just sayin'.)

I'll post more water photos in a later post, but this was my view while I sat on a nice piece of grass under a tree and plugged along on the sweater back.

6 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something about the gorgeous colors of yarn against the white matte of the displays that just makes it sing louder than ever! lol I'm glad you called to share a moment at Loopy Ewe.

Kay

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool pics! Sounds like you had a marvelous getaway!! And found lots of great yarn! What fun!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger see-through faith said...

lovely colours :)

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Jeez- how many knittin' stores ARE there is St. Louis????

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Di said...

This looks like so much fun to me. What a neat store!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home