<

Monday, August 29, 2005

too poor to leave

I've been thinking many of the same thoughts as were expressed over at Topmost Apple as I've been watching the footage of those who took refuge in the Superdome in New Orleans. I've become aware of my own privileged myopia, as it had not occurred to me that there were people who stayed through hurricanes because they could not afford the means to leave.

For such a rich country, we have far, far too many people falling through the cracks. How many, many ways do we penalize those who have less?

2 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Emily,
What is even sadder is to know that many of these people have no means to go anywhere to escape the storm, and more than likely will not have any place to go when they can go back to home. And, if their home does make it through the storm, there is no insurance to pick up the pieces.
Cathy

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I've confessed already to having envisioned a worst case scenario for the astrodome. So, I had a moment of relief when I learned they only got slightly wet. It could have been even more of a tragedy than it turned out to be--unless I didn't catch the most telling television footage. But what I did see would have made my heart stop beating if I had been below. Those who sought safety there have my full sympathy, without lights and without proper bathroom facilities. And, as Cathy says, their outlook isn't very good for when they do go home.

On the other hand, did anybody else see how the storm kinked eastward of New Orleans? Only the eastern edge of the city got the worst of it. I wondered when I saw that if somebody had said powerful prayers. So there are things to be thankful for. The city should have taken the brunt of the storm, but it didn't.

Annie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home