<

Friday, October 21, 2005

Knitting Content

I finished my first felted purse! I took a class at Gourmet Yarn, and this was the result. The pattern is designed by the store's owner, and it's been to fun to see all the different variations people make on the theme.

I wear a lot of black, so a black purse was definitely useful. I'm not sure I'm going to be making anything else with black yarn for a long time. Margaret was very helpful in the difficult sections, picking up stitches and helping me get out of a dropped then added one more stitch situation.

Here's the purse before felting.




Here's the purse after. Yes, those are different scissors but they are basically the same size.





Statistics: MG's Felted Purse Pattern
Yarn: Cascade 220 (black) and Trendsetter Charming
Needles: Size 13s, including DPNs for the I-Cord
Modifications: I made shorter handles for a more elegant design that could go out in the evening.
Felting: One cycle through our washing machine!

Meanwhile, I'm working on my Branching Out Scarf from Knitty. I found belonging to a KnitAlong group was very helpful in working on Clapotis, so I've joined one at Branching Out and I finally have my first knitalong button for my sidebar.

8 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Oh have fun with the Branching Out - what yarn are you using? I used kid mohair and it was lovely but a pain to knit with but worth every bit of trouble it was when I was finished. That scarf now lives in Ireland.
Cathy

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How cool! I can see that felting is in my future.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Cathy,

I'm using the Silky Wool, not brave enough for mohair yet.

Hi Songbird,

I highly recommend it!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Bravo! It loos wonderful. I've done a felted messenger style bag for my teenaged daughter...one of these days I'll knit something other than socks for myself! Isn't knitting the most therapeutic thing? I'm working on a sweater for my PH. Aran pattern in Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran. It's taking forever since the pattern is fairly complex, but I do hope to have it done for Christmas for him. I usually do one big sweater project a year, then a bunch of smaller things.

Songbird, by the way, did the coolest Gryffindor scarf for her daughter.

I've got a four hour car ride tomorrow up to NYC and back on Sunday - I hope I'll get a good bit done on the sweater then.

Happy knitting!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

BTW, I love your purse -- felting is so much fun. Right now I am on a sock kick (no pun intended).

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Good job! Isn't felting fun? I love it.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for all the compliments! I feel more felting coming on. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home