<

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Goblet of Fire

Why is it, during Thanksgiving week, I've been tempted to write 'Gobble of Fire' or 'Giblet of Fire?'

I digress.

The HiP Scarf, (which was worn by me), my husband, a deacon and a senior warden went to see the movie last night. (Doesn't that sound like the beginning of a joke? A senior warden, a deacon and two priests walk into a bar. . .)

Again, I digress.

No spoilers here. Definitely worth seeing. It helps, for me, that I haven't read the book in awhile, and so not too terribly disappointed at what is left out. We finally watched Prisoner of Azkaban the other night, and I was much more aware of things left undone in that one. The kids remain great (I love Emma Watson's fierceness as Hermione) and Ralph Fiennes as He Who Shall Not Be Named is scary enough, thanks.

One thing George Lucas could learn from the past two HP movies (I don't clearly remember 1 and 2 at this point) is that the special effects serve the plot, and not the other way around. Even the wondrous magic moments contribute to the atmosphere that we are not in the world of the Muggles, in my opinion.

Another thought that came to mind was how much Rowling's world is so attractive to children (and one's inner child): the magical abilities, the ways in which objects transform themselves, the heaps of sweets. And yet it's not a perfect world, not idealized. I think that contrast is one of the things that gives the books their power.

The movie could use more Weasleys, though.

2 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Annie,

I just finished it last week, so it should be in the November archives. It's on the bear.

The original pattern is from http://alison.knitsmiths.us. Check the sidebar with all the Harry Potter pattern links and it's on there.

The colors were quite muted, especially on the house scarves. I think they were a little brighter on the ties. Not that I was thinking about that or anything during the movie.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Annie,

I actually made the HiP scarf, which is smaller, more like a tie.

The big scarves are the circular ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home