<

Friday, February 03, 2006

clergy on the loose

Final photos from our Bay Area sojourn:

We had a free morning during our stay at CDSP, before the main part of the conference began, so after I spotted an ad in the Chronicle for a particular exhibit on a female Egyptian pharoah at the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park, we made that the objective of our brief escape across the Bay.
I had been to the DeYoung many years earlier and had no idea it had been closed and rebuilt. The exhibit was fabulous, although pretty crowded for a Thursday morning. Hatsephut was a queen who became co-regent with her nephew, and gradually started to use the term pharoah and male symbols to represent herself. It was a fascinating exhibit on gender and propaganda.

Transportation is always fun on these trips. We had a Palestinian van driver from the Oakland Airport who regaled us with his opinions on, well, everything. We took BART over to San Francisco, and the bus up Hayes Street. On our way back, I spotted this Orthodox church in Berkeley, and in particular the icon with lit candle above the door. A moment of sacred space in a busy place.

(But I'm glad changing that candle isn't my job).

1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Great photos!

Yes, I am glad that changing the candle isn't my job, either. It's fairly high up there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home