<

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Dear (insert name of major American car rental company here)

Let's discuss your claim to your business niche on your website.

You claim to offer "fun, friendly service."

Ahem.

I was deposted at a rental office near a (insert name of American city) major airport this past week to pick up my rental. I was in line for over 40 minutes. (Fun, no?) When our shuttle from the airport arrived at 4:50 p.m. (rush hour), there was one agent on duty, who was already helping a customer with a Lengthy Transaction. At 5:30, there were two agents on duty, and yet weirdly the line had not moved (more fun). When I spoke up to mention that those of us in line had been waiting for 40 minutes, I was asked for patience (ummm, perhaps that would have worked 40 minutes ago), then I heard a snippy comment from said agent, who also appeared to be a manager (that must have been the friendly part).

When I was waved up to the counter, the agent was on the phone, and continued to take a phone reservation while I stood there. Meanwhile, two other people behind me in line were waited on (see--fun and friendly).

I was given an upgrade to a full-size car from a compact, which I appreciated, but did not give me back the hour plus I spent standing in a car rental office.

I hope you will pay more attention to providing fun and friendly service to your customers and this location in the future.

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

That sounds like an experience that needs a letter. One that is sent to the corporate headquarters, that is. Having spent most of my working life dealing with the public, I know how frustrating it is being the person on the front line dealing with a long line of people....it isn't always that person's fault but someone higher up the food chain who determines one person can handle a crowd. Grrrrrrrr But that doesn't excuse the snippy comment.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Emily said...

This was actually a draft to get rid of the sarcasm before I sent the letter off.

I felt badly for the 1st agent, but she was not up to multitasking, and it was clear there were managerial problems. Also, the guy who checked me out at the gate said as much as well.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love customer service - you just can't get it anymore! Glad you're back and I hope the letter rates you a big discount the next time you use the fun and friendly rental place.

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good letter, I'd keep in the sarcasm. It is not snippy and guaranteed to get your letter passed around the rental agency's office which is not a bad thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home