<

Monday, February 06, 2006

in honor of my new job

the cats caught another mouse.

So I am an Interim here in the metro area, photos coming soon (I meant to take some yesterday). It's good to be back to work in a meaningful kind of way.

I came home yesterday afternoon to participate in the time-honored tradition of the Sunday afternoon clergy nap, when I noticed that the cats, who had been participating in the time-honored tradition of the feline afternoon nap (not to be confused with the feline morning nap, the feline evening nap, the feline overnight snooze), were stalking the cat tree by the front door. Sure enough, Houdini had cornered himself a mouse, and spent the rest of the afternoon playing with it and growling at anyone who would try to take it away from him. Husband finally retrieved it from him.

Wilbur, being the secondary cat on the totem pole, didn't get to participate much in the hunt and chase, so in the evening he contented himself by playing with one of his mouse toys as if it were a real mouse.

9 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Years ago my Thunderkitty found a mouse in the night. She uhh swallowed him. I "found" the mouse in the middle of the floor, dead, but still yet. Yuck!! I kicked her out of bed for over a month after that. Mouse breath!!! lol

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Yeah, I'm not a squeamish person, but mice. . .a little too "live" for me.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jonah said...

Met one of your parishoners this past weekend, at St Crispin's. Nice young fellow, named Tim.

Trust the transition following Fr Tom's retirement is going well.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Congratulations on the job! Does this mean you won't be in a leadership role in retreats at St. Crispin's?

CATS! Have I told you about the Great Rat Chase?

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Emily said...

J--Still finding my way around the place, but all is well.

A--I'm still the Devotional Life Chair for ECW, so I'll be out at St. Crispin's in March for the Women's Retreat. Please come!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Congrats on the new gig!

Maya of blessed memory was quite a mouser in her day, as was our late church cat Brigid. They would both occasionally bring them in live as toys.

 
At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tried and tried to admonish my cats not to play with their dinner or not to eat their toys, but they remain unconvinced (and so far, in this apartment, they haven't had the chance to do either.)

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Emily said...

C-I had the pleasure of meeting Brigid a couple of years ago, and was so sad to learn of her demise when we stopped by St. Spike's.

PPB--"don't play with your food." LOL

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Emily, I am glad you got to meet Brigid. She was a Very Fine Cat Indeed and part of what drew me into St. Spike's.

Julian is too fat (at 18#) to get out of the cat door, so there's not a lot of mousing going on these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home