<

Saturday, May 13, 2006

belated Friday Five

I was having trouble with Blogger, yesterday, so I'm a little late:

1. Describe a memorable conference, retreat, workshop or convention you've attended.
Once I took a 24 hour bus ride from Chicago to Estes Park for a Young Adult conference at the YMCA of the Rockies. We got stuck in a blizzard, which made the trip even slower than it should have been. The St. Louis Arch is pretty in a snowstorm.


2. Tell us about a memorable speaker or preacher you've heard. Just recently, I had the pleasure of hearing Phyllis Tickle discuss the state of North American Christianity and the "emergent" trend. It gave me much food for thought which I'm still digesting. I am firmly planted in the Episcopal Church, yet there are some things about Emergent thought that I find useful and/or appealing.

3. Do you attend all of the scheduled events, or play hooky? If the latter, what do you do with your free time? I have been known to play hooky. I have been known to sit down and chat with others and miss workshops. Sometimes I also need some time to myself in the middle of such much "on" ness, even though I'm an extrovert.

4. Do you like having a roommate or would you rather have a room to yourself? I kind of like having a room to myself. Unless it's with the spouse.

5. What's the most exotic location you've conferenced or retreated? I think Estes Park in the middle of winter fits that bill. Breakfast was UP the hill in a brisk wind chill.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh... the brilliant part about the Episcopal church, you CAN be firmly planted and let the rain and sun shine so the branches can reach far and wide. Good thing there are some other episcopal/emergent types out there :)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Rachel,

Phyllis' point was that, in fact, we're all going to be affected by emergent to the degree that we will have to figure out how to "re-imagine our own tradition" and/or take on some emergent characteristics, even if we don't fully 'emerge.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home