<

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Further Thoughts on Lady Eleanor

Thanks for all of the compliments on Lady E!

And now some technical notes:

8 and a smidge skeins of Natural Geranium, Patons SWS, knitted on size 9 needles (Denises). So it is all one colorway. The original pattern calls for 10.5. I am a bit of a loose knitter, but I tested a few different needle sizes and picked the fabric I liked best, which was the 9. As other people have noted, the first tier or so you're wondering WTH you're producing, but after about four or five tiers it really starts to look beautiful.

I put her in for a bath and she seems to have grown in length, not much in width. The stitch gauge seems to be about the same. Now my ends were draping off the lawn chair, but I don't think that would cause the overall stretching. I wish I had taken a measurement of the whole wrap before I put it in for its bath. However, I did measure at the halfway point, and there was no way, at that point, I was going to get to 70 inches with the 35+ tiers. And it's now about 80 inches long.

I liked working with the SWS. It's not super-soft, but I like the drape, and the wrap is nice and toasty. I did not teach myself to knit backwards, and it really only became a problem at the end, when I was turning a garment of that magnitude every 8 stitches.

The cats vote thumbs up, too.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Lady E is beautiful. Did you take a class or just figure it out on your own? She's been on my list of projects in waiting.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hey Anita!

I did the Garterlac Dishcloth as a trial entrelac run. That was fun, so then I was excited to try Lady E. I never figured out how to knit backwards, but the turning really was only a pain, IMHO, at the end, when it had gotten so large.

It's definitely one of those patterns where you have to trust that it's going to look nice in the end, b/c when you've just done the first couple of rows, it looks kind of sad. But once you do a few more, it really starts to shape up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home