<

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Hack, hack, cough, sneeze

So I haven't written yet about the big Celebration of New Ministry we had at St. C's this past weekend.

That's because I promptly got good and sick after it was all over. And hubby, too. Instead of being at our respective Shrove Tuesday pancake dinners, we stayed home and ate the traditional pre-Lenten Chinese delivery (chicken rice soup--it'll cure what ails you!) and huddled under blankets.

I wasn't too sick to knit so I finished knitting my mile that was part of the Stash Knit Down group on Ravelry by getting to block eight of the Moderne Baby Blanket I'm making for an impending great-nephew on hubby's side (yay! using up the vintage Microspun stash).

Yesterday, between services, cough drops and heavy intake of hot fluids to keep my voice from disappearing, I set aside the blanket and cast on my first hat for this. I "met" Jeanette via Ravelry--she's in charge of Christmas at Sea for this longtime Episcopal Church ministry in New York. I've knitted a scarf or two before, because hubby was involved in the ministry with mariners back when we lived in St. Louis--we even got to go down to Paducah, KY once for him to bless a tow boat. I have a ton of brown/black Encore Chunky that I bought back for a crochet project but that didn't please me, but will make some nice fast hats for this effort. So--Lenten discipline AND knitting from more vintage stash.

And here's a funny knitting-related Ash Wednesday story. A woman was at church for our noonish service who I had never met. But even from the altar I could tell she was wearing a Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf made out of Berroco Foliage (I should get some kind of points for that). She was visiting from out of town and was only mildly startled when I asked at the Peace if she was a knitter! (She was).

7 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are spotting knitters from the altar, then I feel much less guilty about my sightings from the choir. Maybe I'll follow through on my threat to bring out the sock in progress during long sermons ;)

Hope you feel better soon.

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool! I was waiting at the doctor's office yesterday and spotted a knitted hat coming in.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder about hats! Love that you recognized the pattern.

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily that's funny that you spotted a knitted scarf from the pulpit. I'm so glad your celebration was so joyful. I couldn't be there in person but was in spirit. I'm so happy for you.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I'm so sorry you got the crud too! Take care of yourself.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger St. Inuksuk said...

Hope you're feeling better.
Maybe a brief book meme might help!
I've tagged you at signs-along-the-way. (still havent' learned how to link - maybe that should be my Lenten discipline this year!)
Hope you'll play!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger CurliSu said...

Congratulations on your new position!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home