<

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

21st century communion

While sitting in our new living room last week, I realized that the DH and I, were surrounded by our new wireless phone (land line), our two new cell phones, my old pay as you go cell phone, and the remnants of my computer, and contemplating ordering me a laptop and David a computer at his office. How much connectivity do two people need, I wonder? And are any of us actually closer to each other despite being connected 24 hours a day?

Of course the flip side of all this is that I do feel more connected. Thanks to email, phones, and blogging, I am able to keep in touch with close friends in places I no longer live. And thanks to blogging and email groups I have been able to meet people in Oklahoma before I even arrived here. Last night some of us who are on the Oklahoma Knitters list met at a local Barnes and Noble, including Barbara of Effervescence. So I've now gotten to meet a fellow Episcoblogger in person (woo-hoo!)

The heat is broken, the new plants on the patio look a little less fried today, it was so hot the new yucca looked wilted! I'm discovering that gardening is a bit like knitting--absorbing and a great excuse to wander around nurseries (instead of yarn shops). And if you buy vegetables, you can convince yourself you're spending money on nutritional food for your family.

Rationalization, apparently, crosses the boundaries of both activities.

(For the record, in the shady northern part I have containers of Persian shield, impatiens and a pink vinca in the dappled sunny spot. In the heat island of our patio I have a yucca, some purple fountain grass, a lemon tree, a banana palm, another palm that was given to me by a friend, some begonias, sweet potato vine, some tomatoes, peppers and squash, some verbena and zinnias, and a canna lily. I am basically working my way through the Oklahoma Gardener's Guide, which I have found to be a very useful book. I'm still playing with the designs out there as I find out what can tolerate the various sun/shade/heat combos on the patio.)

4 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Dawgdays said...

Do you IM in the house? We do, sometimes.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

We totally IM in the house. I mean, who needs to talk and raise the ambient noise level after the kids are in bed... when you can IM and make each other laugh?

Emily, it was great to meet you last night. Welcome to Oklahoma, hurrah for the break in the heat wavelet, and I really, really loved your baby sweater and the yarn you used.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Barbara, it was great to meet you too.

I think we will have to explore the IM thing--it's the only way we can talk about the cats behind their backs.

Tee hee.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Landstown Poultry said...

Can you give me the link for the Oklahoma Knitters group? I have a friend who has just become a knitter (thanks to me - her enabler) and I would love to be able to give her the information so she could have local knitters to socialize with. Much as I love her, and much as I try to help - sometimes you need someone right there...and Austin is a wee bit far for those moments.

If you don't mind doing so - kittie {at} schrodingerskittie.com is my email address. I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!
~K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home