<

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

transfixed

by the images on the television--I've on been to New Orleans once, but it was a memorable choir tour (even if I was underage). I did manage to reach via email a friend from seminary--she's safe in another city, but it may be a long time before she can get home.

How long, O Lord, until New Orleans is even habitable again?

The word apocalyptic does keep coming to mind, a catastrophic event laying bare all that is under the surface, human pride and sin, also human resilience in the face of disaster, and above all the need for a God who comes to us both as Lord of the wind and rain but also as the Suffering Servant who is with us.

We Americans should watch and ponder how swiftly our complex civilization can be reduced to nothing. How many of us would have the skills and resources to survive? What kind of impact will this have on our everyday lives, those of us who live far away?

Random thoughts. I haven't been able to concentrate on my book. Sorry, Don. I will post some thoughts on it tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog!

And, I've been to New Orleans several times, but most memorable was a high school choir tour when I was definitely underage! Ah, those were the days!

:)

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Thanks, mary Beth! I like your blog too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home