<

Sunday, November 27, 2005

the quest for the perfect Thanksgiving pie

is over, at least for this year.

Fed up with variations on pumpkin and pecan that didn't quite hit that sweet spot, I found a recipe for a Tollhouse Pie (it used pecans, but more importantly, chocolate), to which I added vanilla extract and orange extract for a slightly more grown-up feel. (But after you've melted two sticks of butter for it, you can't really pretend it's health food). Said pie went to a second Thanksgiving dinner at the home of the lovely
Effervescence, at which I also consumed red wine that did not cause me to have a stuffy nose. Let's hear it for South African low tannin red wine.

Today I made no pie. I did preach a homily, bless an Advent wreath, bless water, preside at Eucharist, and drive 52 miles round trip. That's enough for Advent 1.

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger St. Casserole said...

Pecan pie with chocolate chips is a favorite of mine. Adding the orange sounds great and I'll try it next time.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Mm, cherry and almond.

After I had all the ingredients for the Tollhouse, I found the recipe for pecan-chocolate chip pie that I used to use all the time in Mollie Katzen's Still life with Menu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home