<

Sunday, January 01, 2006

bits and bytes

It's been a quiet weekend, here at Casa Wilbur y Houdini. Hootie's snoring has reached acceptable levels for our sleeping, so we've let him back in the bedroom at night. Also, he's eating and drinking again, and he must be feeling better, because he just drank out of my glass. Usually I shoo him away, but I looked on indulgently, relieved that he's (mis)behaving normally again. (We'll be back to shooing tomorrow).

Husband and I celebrated New Year's by hanging out at home and going to bed early. Which was fine until our neighbors turned out their stereo to eardrum piercing volumes at 11:45. So we did ring in the New Year by sharing a kiss at midnight, not exactly a glamorous, end of "Harry Met Sally" moment, but fine by us. We'll have a more exciting New Year's Eve next year, when it doesn't fall on a clergy working night.

If you happen to turn on CNN, yes, the fires in Oklahoma are bad, but somehow the newscaster makes it sound like we're all on the verge of evacuating (we're not). Please pray that some of that rain in the West comes our way, but it doesn't look good. The weather service is saying there's no real chance of rain for two weeks. Winds were high today and the temperature was in the mid-seventies. As I drove back from Guthrie, I could see clouds over OKC--I thought it was rain, but it was one of those weird dust storms. The sky turns a sort of pinkish brown and it's just odd and creepy. Thankfully I came back from Guthrie before the highway patrol closed I-35 because of a fire nearby. There are fires near Guthrie tonight, as well as some in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, and it's too windy and dark for Chinook helicopters. Difficult conditions.

It's been a full week--I presided at a memorial service on Tuesday, and concelebrated at a wedding this morning (the deacon was the bride). And I had an email from a seminary friend saying she had taken a secular position, and noting that "her call to ministry was ended." So the New Year begins, with all the mixed feelings for those of us wandering around the church, but with hope always in the One in whose name we can trust above all others, on this Feast of the Holy Name, and every day of the year.

6 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my neighbors set off fireworks. Happy New Year.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Why is it that so many New Year's stories start off with "my neighbors. . .".

There were fireworks in the neighborhood, too, briefly, before common sense took over. Um, fire danger critically high, anyone notice the brown grass and the clouds of smoke?

Happy New Year to you!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

I would *love* to send you some of the rain from just north of here. (We're not getting quite as much right here, thanks be.)

I would say that I can't believe that people would still set fireworks in that, but I've seen some pretty stupid behavior here during wildfire season.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Susan said...

So glad to hear Hootie is getting back to normal. There is nothing worse than a sick fur baby!

Just for the record, we didn't hear a peep out of any of our neighbors - we must live in a boring neighborhood, lol.

Happy Knit Year!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

No fireworks from my neighbors either. Just their normal chatter. Unfortunately, I live in a duplex with a thin wall. Ugh!!!!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Somebody nearby was setting off huge fireworks--the kind that boom. Living close to town but not in town is a very dangerous place to live during burn bans. There was at least one fire nearby. Too close for comfort, really. Why people don't get it, I cannot understand!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home