<

Thursday, March 02, 2006

ashes to ashes

Well. . .

our Ash Wednesday started off with a bang, or rather, sirens--

During our noon service, I noticed some parishioners come in late. After the service they asked if I had heard the sirens. Umm, no. Turns out their car had caught on fire on the way to church, and a call to 911 had produced a fire truck.

Ashes in the parking lot, ashes in the chancel.

I knew I couldn't fast for Ash Wednesday and do the things I needed to do, but I was determined to eat lightly. It was 90 degrees here yesterday, and about 4 p.m. I really, really wanted to stop at Braum's for a shake. I managed to get myself over to the local library instead until the feeling passed.

I am so glad Cathy had her brilliant idea about 40 miles in 40 days, because starting yesterday with a walk did help, although I was still completely spent by the end. Just enough energy to be a couch potato and watch "Project Runway."

9 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

I hate to say it, but from the brief glances, I think Santino's collection looked the best. I want Daniel or Chloe to win soooo bad. What did you think?

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger anummabrooke said...

Once, when some friends and I were driving together in two cars, the first of the two cars caught fire in traffic. I remember my friend who was driving did not notice it, and didn't hear people honking at her. At a traffic light, the driver alongside her rolled down his window (hers was open, it was summer) and said forcefully, "Get out of the car." So she did.

I'm glad your parishioners were okay. I wish I had such good excuses for my chronic lateness to church.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jody Harrington said...

I'm pulling for Chloe because she's my Houston Homegirl.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I wished you had tipped me off about the 40 miles in 40 days! Toooo kewl!

It was an odd beginning to Lent for me too. Busy all day, I caught myself off-guard when I went to prepare dinner and realized too late that it was--of all the sneaky lame-brained things--the first day that I should have remembered to make special plans. Later I will have a freezer full of fishy things ... or beans and things. EGAD! There are no Lenten eateries!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

By the end of the day (services at 7:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., dinner not until after the second!), we were all slaphappy. When my son came in from a music rehearsal, we made Pillsbury cinnamon rolls at 9:30 p.m. I taped our guilty pleasure, Lost, and we watched it together.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Kay--I agree. But they could also be misleading us, so I'm dying to see the runway show.

BG--and apparently the firefighter also had his ashes.

QG--I'm fond of Chloe, too, and am waiting to see her stuff.

Annie--Not too late to join! See Cathy's blog for the link--I haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

Songbird--since the Book of Daniel flubbed it, I'm dying to create the real clergy existence on film--your day fits right in!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Jane Dark said...

Like Quotidian Grace, I'm pulling for Chloe. And Emily: wow -- what an Ash Wednesday.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Terri said...

Wow - what a day. I like that Library too. Sometimes I run up there on my lunch hour.

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger see-through faith said...

ashes in the car park. wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home