<

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

plenty thinking, not much writing

That entry title sums it up, yes?

Much going on in the brain since hearing Phyllis Tickle at the ECW Conference. She spoke at length about the reformation she believes we in North American Christianity, and the next dominant model of church will be that of Emergent. . .not the only model, mind you. But that our options will be to walls ourselves off, retradition our own denominations, or find some place of connection between our traditions and the emerging Emergent (please don't think I'm quoting her directly in terms of word choice--I'm typing this without my notes in front of me).

I had picked up Brian McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy but had set it down in the midst of working on other things. . .I'm back to it again, although it's juggling space with McCulloch's biography of Cranmer and other things I'm perusing for an adult forum on the history of the Prayer Book. . .reading about that Reformation seems quite timely, actually.

I guess there was some writing, after all.

3 Comments:

At 8:22 AM, Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Here are some interesting thoughts about Cranmer and the BCP from Prof. Bob Prichard, who heads up the the Church History and Liturgy stuff at VTS:
http://www.vts.edu/ftpimages/95/download/download_group3097_id71765.pdf

This was written int he context of a discussion of what kind of worship forms the Seminary should use for Daily Worship (or a combination thereof, which is what we are ending up with). anyway, I hope it's helpful.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Don said...

Is the Cranmer biography interesting?

I went so slowly through the second half of "Reformation," enjoying them as topical essays.

I have three more English Reformation books on my list by Dickens, Duffy and Bernard.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Hi Don,

It's written by the same person, so it's similarly dense. Sometimes i lose track of all the names.

These books on church history should come with pop-up family trees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home