<

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

silly season is upon us

Does anyone remember when no one noticed what the Episcopal Church would be up to in its General Convention?

Sigh.

A friend of mine calls this time the pre-convention silly season. The most bizarre rumors have reached me via the grapevine, which I'm not going to repeat, lest someone trying to find out whether a rumor is true googles it.

Being a historian and anthropologist gives one a particular perspective. Over the years the Anglican tradition has fought about a)altars or tables? b)altar rail or no? c) candles on the altar? d) the wearing of the surplice e) the use of wedding rings f) could the king annul a marriage (a few times) and so forth and so on.

I was at the last convention, as a delegate to the Triennial Meeting of the Episcopal Church Women. While everyone else was doing their thing, we were learning the hula from the delegation from Hawaii.

Strangely, CNN didn't cover that part.

4 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Rachel Nguyen said...

On Sunday I met the Cannon who assists our Bishop. I asked him what the proper way to address him was. He avoided answering, so I just called him "Cannon."

When I told my spiritual director about it later, he joked "maybe now that you are an Episcopalian, he was afraid you were picking a fight".

What, I wonder, have I gotten myself into? LOL.

PS: On the Catholic channel news today, they reported on a priest who is inviting 54 members of his congregation to leave the parish because they insist on kneeling during part of the mass, even though the Bishop has said not to.

We aren't the only ones who are silly, I guess.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

There's a Very Big Deal annual hula competition held Easter Week, on Hawai'i (or maybe Oahu). I sure wish I could get THAT on satellite TV. Hula is *amazing*! I've entertained thoughts of a 2nd honeymoon trip, to "real"/"old" Hawai'i, strategically timed to catch some of this hula festival, but that would mean getting tickets to the competition something like a year in advance AND missing Easter Vigil and/or Easter Day celebrations at our home church. Ouch.

Hula good :)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Learning the hula would be so much more redeeming than being caught up in the petty bickering. I wish I'd had the term "silly season" to lean on earlier this year. Before I realized GC was upon us, it had already begun.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger hip2b said...

Different Denomination, same silliness. Aren't most conferences that way though? Some people are doing hard work, some are bickering, and some are hula-ing. I am going to the big Annual Library Conference in a few weeks and I like to attend the Annual Book-Cart Drill Team performances. Silly, silly, silly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home