<

Monday, September 11, 2006

down the lane at sunset

There's been a lot of noise in my head lately--not bad noise, particularly, not destructive--just distracting. So when I got out to our diocesan camp and conference center for a board meeting Friday I became aware that just being out there, even if it was on business, was going to be a relief.

Walking up the lane at our diocesan camp and conference center in the evening after dinner, I could feel the noise in my head turn off just a little. And as I rounded a corner, there was a deer in the meadow just ahead of me. The deer and I stood looking at each other for awhile, then, as I backed away slightly, another one came into view, and another, until there were five of them watching me.

Despite the fact that my feet were firmly grounded on the blacktop of the drive, I felt as if I had stepped, ever so briefly, into another time and place. It seemed holy, if you will, and then, they began to drift away and I returned for the evening portion of our meeting.

As we left the center Saturday afternoon, two more deer were leaping across the meadow. A reminder to take a walk, to turn off the noise, to keep my eyes open for holy things in the midst of the everday.

5 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Terri said...

I've been wondering where you were. We missed you at Knit In.
We need to do lunch again soon. I feel a hankering for a seafood salad comin on.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

you should come live with us. We have two deer families who have bonded, so now we have 6 deer who frequently hang around our 2 acre lot. My husband has been trying to get them to go away (that's how jaded we've become). He heads out, they look expectantly at him (you can hear them think "are you bringing me a treat?") Some of our neighbors feed the deer. So that's part of it

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Emily,

I highly recommend moving to the country. We love our rural setting and it really cuts down on *head noise*.

We have lots of deer in our area. Lots of critters of all types, actually. I always drive very slowly when I return home after dark from knitting...I've seen foxes, raccoons, rabbits, skunks, cats, dogs, deer, goats, and all types of creatures walking along....or in... the road! Makes for careful and interesting driving every time!

The deer jump our 5 ft. fencing as though it was knee high. They also like treats from our bird feeders and will stand on their back legs to help themselves. : )

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

Every day I head out the back door and up the hill through the woods on my daily hike. Today I encountered 3 wild turkeys, 4 deet, 1 ground hog, 1 racoon, 2 red tailed hawks, and 2 absolutely beautiful blue birds.

Now I'm back in the study trudging through the unreal world.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

Emily,

I quoted from this on my blog. Hope you don't mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home