<

Monday, August 21, 2006

it's in the small things

If you've heard any of the story of my journey through the ordination process, you know that one of the significant pieces was working through my parents' opposition to the ordination of women--me being willing to risk losing their love over it (yes, it was that serious) and then, the three of us as a family working to put the pieces back together again. My parents chose not to come to either of my ordinations and we had some testy moments through the years.

Things have changed slowly since Husband and I got married, but something happened Saturday--a small thing, but really quite remarkable. Dad called and we chatted about vacation (blame Blogger for lack of photos, BTW), and then he asked if he could see a picture of the church. I thought he meant Husband's church, but then he said he wanted to see photos of both our churches.

It was a tiny moment, and I missed it at the time. It wasn't until I was setting the table for the 10:30 Eucharist on Sunday that the impact registered. A soloist was singing "In This Very Room," a song perhaps familiar to some of you--"quite enough love for all of us. . . "and the connection between that and the bread of life passages and the whole thing hit home.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow , indeed.

10 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Praise God, indeed!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

That is quite a moment. I'm glad you shared that with us.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

I'm so glad for you. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

people (families) hurt each other so much in the name of religion. I'm glad you had a moment of re-connection.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger bls said...

A beautiful post, Emily.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Deacon Tim said...

Emily, I am overjoyed at your story. When my long journey from cult to Christ began, I was fearful of losing my family and I did lose my brother who has spoken to me only twice (at the death of my parents) in the past twenty years. But both of my parents, my youngest brother and my sister eventually left. One of the joys of my life was looking out at the congregation at St. Luke's Cathedral and seeing my father. God is good indeed.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

How wonderful. Would you allow me to pray for the day he hears you say, "Take, eat ...."

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I never thought ... ! Deeply touching. What a brave girl you are and I am so glad.

Well, get those pictures to 'im! ;)

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger anummabrooke said...

It was a tiny moment, and I missed it at the time.

Sometimes that's exactly the best way to have made the most of a moment, isn't it? No distracting mental "Whoah-huh?" I'm glad you had that small thing together.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Yes, and yes.

Side note: Laura L, from your days as a curate, is an MTS student at Big Old Seminary with me, and sends regards! She was someone who had been confirmed as an adult. She is thriving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home