<

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A very Harlot kind of evening

July has been quite exciting around these here parts.
(The cats share in all the excitement).

I spent a week in Tulsa with the Royal School of Church Music.
I passed my two year blogiversary (Hi, I'm Emily, and I'm a blogger.)
We had a wedding and a patronal feast at St. C's--all in the same weekend.
And last, and most certainly not least, the Metro OKC Knitters' Guild and Gourmet Yarn hosted Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, known to the yarn-obsessed online knitting community as the Yarn Harlot.

I was ruthlessly browbeat happy and delighted to chair the Reception Committee for the evening, and other than worrying about the numbers (did we have enough veggie trays?), all seemed well on our end until I went to pick up the cake at Large Chain Grocery Store That Shall Remain Nameless.

The cake was not finished. Three hours before we had to be in our seats at the library, awaiting the entrance of the Harlot, and the cake wasn't done.

The bakery manager took our cake to a decorator at another store and I paced the aisles of Large Chain Grocery Store That Shall Remain Nameless (lousy magazine section, folks). The store manager, I should add, was quite helpful, and, as you can see, not only did we have our cake with Stephanie's blog logo on it, it was free.

The words "free full-size sheet cake" are very pleasant to the ear.

Even more pleasant to the ear:




I had to stop pinching myself. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee was in Oklahoma City? She is, in person, even more delightful than her blog and a keen observer of the life of knitters.


Don't be frightened. We're pretty well-behaved as long as we have yarn and pointy sticks in our hands.

(More to follow. Blogger is being pesky. I know, you're shocked). Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I haven't even read your post yet and had to comment - I saw yesterday where Harlot was going to be on your stomping grounds and wondered if you were going to "the event" - now I will go back and read your posting.

Ok, I'll admit - I'm jealous.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

You're famous - you got a link on Harlot's page. Watch out site meter.
:)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Thanks for helping organize the event. It was a great time!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for helping to organize the event, event indeed. What a truly wonderful very Harlot kind of evening. I am still giddy.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Twas awesome, wasnt it?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger katie said...

And that free cake was pretty awesome, too! :)

Thanks for all your hard work.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger KatyaR said...

It was quite a night, wasn't it? We had a blast, and you guys did a great job. We Okies know how to throw a party!

Are you still thinking about learning to spin? :<)

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Sanders said...

Thank you thank you! I'm so glad you guys were able to get it together to bring her to OKC.!

The cake was very cute!

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found you from Rosemary's site. What a great night! Thanks for all your hard work.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Procrastiknitter said...

Wow, how fun! I'm so jealous. I couldn't get there because my lovely husband was in Canada and I had no one to watch the kids.

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky, lucky you! How FUN!

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of fun, even after the frustrations.
My excuse for missing the event was helping my daughter move to Seattle, also exciting.
see you soon!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Loribythesea said...

I love this picture and your comment about being happy with pointy sticks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home