<

Friday, November 24, 2006

Black Friday Friday Five

1. Would you ever/have you ever stood in line for something--tickets, good deals on electronics, Tickle Me Elmo?


It's been awhile. I HATE LINES. When I was at U of I, we stood in line to get lottery tickets for buying concert tickets. I stood in line for Peter Gabriel and U2 lottery tickets (ah, the good ol' days). But my roommate had the lottery luck, so we ended up with good tickets on her lottery number.

2. Do you enjoy shopping as a recreational activity?

I used to, but not so much anymore. These days I prefer shopping for things I know I need over the Internet.

I do like browsing and shopping when I'm in a different place, especially if it's in a different country. One of my favorite Black Friday memories is going down to Nogales, Sonora, with friends from the anthropology department. I still have a number of items I bought on that trip.


3. Your favorite place to browse without necessarily buying anything. Art festivals. Sometimes Williams-Sonoma. The King Arthur Flour catalog. The Bissinger's catalog.

4. Gift cards: handy gifts for the loved one who has everything, or cold impersonal symbol of all that is wrong in our culture? I have no problem with gift cards. But sometimes they're a little easy to lose.

5. Discuss the spiritual and theological issues inherent in people coming to blows over a Playstation 3. I don't think that's what we mean when we talk about the kingdom of God coming near to you.


5 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have piqued my interest with some of the catalogs you mention I have never heard of.

Thankful for Internet shopping.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Maria Tafoya said...

I think of most of the catalogues I get as "Wish Books." :-)

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

I absolutely love the King Arthur Flour catalogue!! And ... BTW ... the SideHillFarm jam that they carry is made by my very own brother! The company (Side Hill Farm Jams) was started by my mom and dad and now my brother runs it. But that catalogue has the most intriguing and tantalizing cooking stuff in it. Very fun ... Sonja

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger revhipchick said...

i'm with cathy, now i need to check out some of them! thanks!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger St. Inuksuk said...

Don't you know it how easy those gift cards can be lost. For the first time in my life, i lost our gift card to a restaurant, last Christmas.
When we wanted to use it, I couldn't find it for the life of me. I checked every possible place and checked them again.
Well, just last night, I dug through a pile of jewelry gift boxes to find that cotton batting for my sister's Christmas gift and opened up one jewelry box and there, lo and behold was the gift card. Guess I know where we're going for our anniversary dinner next week!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home