<

Sunday, May 28, 2006

why we now have a photo of the cast of "Lost in Space"

So Saturday husband and I drove up to Guthrie, the original capital of Oklahoma, and home of Victorian architecture, antique shops (and yes, a yarn shop) and various festivals. This time of year Guthrie hosts a Jazz Banjo Festival--we weren't sure if we were going to track down music, just wanted to get out of town, take a stroll, get a change of scenery.

We had been in the yarn shop and we were directed across the street to the Banjo Museum for information about the festival. (You've gotta love a town that has a Banjo Hall of Fame upstairs from the local Y, and across the street from yarn). We found our way upstairs, only to discover that the museum was hosting an autograph session by June Lockhart, who was the mother in "Lost in Space," (and on "Lassie" and "Petticoat Junction.")

Husband and I both spent afternoons of our childhood absorbed in "Lost in Space" reruns, so we enjoyed chatting with Ms. Lockhart. What, you may ask, what June Lockhart doing in a Banjo Museum? Her father was a famous banjo player and composer. Really. So she was signing autographs as a fundraiser for the museum.

Which is why we now own a June Lockhart-signed photo of the cast of "Lost in Space," the whole family, Dr. Smith, the Robot. (It was a tough call between that and the photo of the entire casts of "Petticoat Junction," "Green Acres" and "the Beverly Hillbillies," gathered together for one sitting. But I'm not sure I could take that much Zsa Zsa.)

We actually didn't hear much music, but we did catch a staged "shootout" on the main street, and finally decided that the best way to close our afternoon was a trip to the local Braum's outpost for cappuccino chocolate chunk frozen yogurt in a waffle cone. Cause, you know, the yogurt makes it healthy.

Now we have to figure out what to do with our photo. . .

7 Comments:

At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a surprise that must have been! Is she like, 90 now? And a shoot out too, sounds like you had a wonderful time!

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Dawgdays said...

Reruns? Reruns? I remember watching Lost in Space the first time around.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

I'm with dawgdays, I fell in love with June Lockhart when she was Timmie's mom in Lassie. She was so kind and sweet. Even then I wished my mother would take lessons from her. :-)

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!! Lost in Space was my favorite show in childhood. I'd put the photo in my office or den and proudly show it off!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Emily, I'm jealous, too! I loved *Lost In Space*. I couldn't wait for it to come on each week and I don't think I missed a single episode. : )

Have a great week!

Shelly

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

I remember Lassie and Lost in Space from my childhood, too, and it wasn't in reruns! I loved Lost in Space when I was in elementary school. It was my favorite show.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warning, Will Robinson! Danger, danger!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home