<

Sunday, May 29, 2005

what to do with baby grasshoppers

Smoosh.

I may be denounced by some grasshopper-loving group, but I discovered an early crop of grasshoppers in the patio this week. I don't know where they came from. They seem to like the leaves of the peppers and the sweet basil (maybe there's more sugar in the sweet basil, because they're leaving the other basil alone.

I stopped by the Master Gardeners table at the OSU-OKC farmer's market, and asked. They recommended sticky papers put around the garden. I haven't had a chance to get any yet, so I'm smooshing the ones I find. (They're fairly small, so it's not too gross).

One thing I've discovered about having plants, especially veggies and herbs, is how much more interested I am in the weather, the bugs, the birds, etc. So another connection I see between gardening and knitting is that I feel more connected to the process of making things. I'm not saying this very well, and obviously how much can I say about something I've only been doing for a week? But I notice myself much more interested in the weather broadcasts--and since we live in Oklahoma, the kingdom of weather forecasting, there's plenty to listen too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home