<

Friday, June 03, 2005

on going to the movies

Last weekend the DH and I did something I hadn't done in a long time--we went to a "blockbuster" movie on Memorial Day weekend. The only thing that could drive me to do this, was, of course, the final installment of Star Wars. How did Anakin become Vader? What happened to Padme? How many scenes would Jar Jar be in? These burning questions were at the top of my mind. (Also, can there be any good Star Wars movie without Han Solo, but I digress. . . The answer's still no, as far as I'm concerned).

Joe at Canterbury Trail has some good thoughts and a good discussion ensued in the comments, which I will not repeat here. What struck me before the movie even started was the previews.

I used to love previews. In earlier times, when going to the movies more frequently, I had a good friend I would go see movies with. He invariably would not show up until it was time for the movie to start. My other friends and I, who wanted to see the previews, finally coped with this by misremembering the start times of the movies ten minutes to the early side. Anyway, the previews came up.

I was so disappointed. There were 7-8 previews. Not one was for an original idea. There may be some good movies in there (Batman Begins has promise), but the Fantastic 4. War of the Worlds, Longest Yard, Batman, etc. all

were someone else's idea. Sequels, prequels, remakes, rewrites, comic books, novels. The thought of a moviemaker with a vision, a plan, a unique story to tell narratively through film was completely absent from this set of previews. Not that I think much of mainstream Hollywood films these days, but still. . .

End of rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home