<

Thursday, January 05, 2006

in need of advice (or a smaller needle, or different yarn)

Here's the thing:

I was thinking, this January, of taking on some complicated project to rev up my knitting. Something that would stretch my skills and push me. When I saw that the Aranknit Yahoo Group was hosting a "Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong" I thought that would be perfect. I have an order in for a large amount of Cascade, and yesterday I sat down with some other Cascade to swatch.

The leader calls for a gauge of 22 stitches to 4 inches over moss stitch.

I started with size 5 needles. I got 16 stitches to 4 inches, before and after washing.

Apparently I am a LOOSE knitter. I am a floozy with the moss stitch.

Ok, so clearly, the only way I'd get 22 stitches to 4 inches is to go down enough sizes in needles that my hands would be cramping from holding them.

Here are the options:

1)Use the smaller needles.

2)Change yarn. Not a bad option, I'd be fine finding a use for the original Cascade. Something in a DK weight perhaps?

3) Change filler stitches. I'm usually a tighter knitter than this, so I think I could hit those 22 stitches to 4 inches over some other stitch.

I'm open to suggestions.

13 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Those sound like Margaret questions if I've ever seen any!!! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I've got a confession to make, but first I must run Ike to his guitar lesson.

When you find out, do update us. My guess would be smaller needles although I don't know what to do about the hand cramping. I used to knit very tightly, so have the opposite problem. I generally knit up one needle size--at least.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Susan said...

If it were me, I'd change filler stitches. I've always found the moss stitch to grow. Hand-cramping smaller needles doesn't sound like much of an option. I'll be looking forward to hearing of your progress on the Aran!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger bls said...

Wow. This is like a whole other language.

I haven't got the faintest idea what you all are talking about....

;-)

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

I might change to a dk weight OR go down another needle size. Depends on $$ and what YOU want to do.

Also is it a sweater that you are knitting so the gauge is important?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Kay, I wanted to talk with her today but it was quite busy at the yarn shop, and I suspected this needed more concentration. I'll try again soon.

Annie--I just saw your post on your blog. My goodness! I had no idea you were so into the knitting. We'll have to arrange a Knitters Anonymous group soon.

Susan & Cathy--I'm thinking of changing filler stitches and then just taking the gauge I get that looks nice and then doing the math to make it work.

bls, I'm not always sure I understand either (grin). How I got involved in a hobby that involves math is slightly beyond me.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I might need to locate your yarn shop. I don't have one, you know. I might even run through on Saturday, depending on whether time allows. We are going to a hockey game. :(

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Emily - You should have asked the other day - it's a quick answer. You need DK weight on about 3 or 4.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention - yes, you are a VERY loose knitter. I noticed that with your socks. In fact, you should be getting 5sts per inch with the Cascade on size 7 or 8s. Normally you could get the gauge called for with Cascade on size 5 or 6.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Emily said...

This is what I get for making a conscious effort to loosen up! I started off being a very tight knitter.

I'll have to check my gauge on the Cascade in stockinette, out of curiosity).

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, the pattern calls for the gauge to be over moss stitch. If I were you - I'd work on being a tighter knitter - you're way too loose (not good for a clergy person. lol) I've forgotten - do you do continental or English knitting?

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Oh, I didn't mean for the pattern, I think I'm tighter in stockinette than I am in moss stitch. That's why I was so surprised.

I'm a "thrower."

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you will usually have a looser gauge in moss stitch because of the purls. I have some dk yarn at the shop we can give a try. I won't be back on - I'm flying to Ft. Worth to be with my son in the hospital.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home