<

Thursday, April 13, 2006

washing

Something different touches me every Maundy Thursday. It probably is one of my favorite services of the year--the footwashing, the emphasis on the Eucharist, the stripping of the altar.

This year I was finally able to do something I've always wanted to do as a presider on Maundy Thursday--to clean the altar itself. I remember a previous mentor sprinkling it with a leafy branch, then wiping it dry. We didn't have a leafy branch around, but some palm fronds (note to self--try something else next year), but I found myself so moved by the motions of the towel, wiping it dry.

Our actions on Maundy Thursday operate on so many levels, and this year what came out of it for me was the cleansing--the washing of feet, the clearing away of the chancel, taking away the clutter, right down to the washing of the altar. Cleaning out the Reserve. Starting fresh.

Ready for the baptismal water on Saturday night at the Vigil.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

I am reminded of how our Jewish friends "clean" their houses of leaven before Passover.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

I'm making a note of this post for future reference. As we parsons say, "That'll preach."

Thanks much for this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home