<

Monday, June 19, 2006

umm. . .wow

So', just an ordinary Sunday, two services, Adult Forum in the middle. I kept checking the computer at breaks to see if a new Presiding Bishop had been elected (it's hard not to think about white smoke and bells in this context).

In the afternoon, a stop at the OKC Knit Guild for the detailed announcement about the visit of the Yarn Harlot (July 25th, 6-8 p.m., a talk at the Village Library, followed by booksigning and reception at Gourmet Yarn Company--y'all come). I had to leave early to get to the Cathedral where I was officiating Evensong (they were short clergy today) and I was listening to NPR, blah, blah, blah, the Episcopal Church has just elected its first woman Presiding Bishop--just as I was pulling onto I-44--I almost went off the road.

Three years ago, I was in Minneapolis as an ECW delegate, and I remember the Sunday of General Convention very clearly. I went to the big convention Eucharist with a friend from my congregation, who was a deputy, and then I sat in the big hall to hear the Deputies debate the ratification of Gene Robinson's election. I had a strong sense of witnessing history--whichever way the vote came out. At dinner later in the week, one of the deputies said, as we were processing the fallout, "We shouldn't come back to Minneapolis for Convention for a long time--strange things always happen here" (Minneapolis was also the site for the approval of women's ordination, among other things. . .)

She'll have to add Columbus to that list, now.

Wow.

Whatever one might think about the Episcopal Church, it is not dull. Not these days.

8 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is really wonderful news, for the ECUSA and for the Church in general.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could find it exceptionally easy to be obsessed by this news...to wit, the fact that I was up blogging about it at midnight and am now searching for responses.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Mary Beth, I know, I know, I wasn't quite up til midnight, but I'm having the same impulses. . .

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Sophia said...

I was about to go to bed when I found out...

Now this AM I am completely sleep deprived because I stayed up reading all of the Episcopal blogs and wishing they would just post the "convention nightly" thing already so I could see some convention footage.

:-)

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Me too! I checked everything I could find on the net and some of them an embarrassing number of times.

Then, when I finally crawled into bed, I had a euphoric moment as I thought of all the prayers that we'd all been delivering up for GC. I don't think it was anybody's agenda!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger KatyaR said...

Congratulations--I think this ranks WAY past the 1928 Prayer Book revisions and giving women the ability to become priests. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Kirstin said...

Alleluia!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Clearly I should go on retreat more often...last time I was away, the C of E voted in favour at least in theory of women bishops, now this! 3 cheers for ECUSA. Proud of you all :-)
Hope that maybe this will smooth the way on the women bishops question here too...though not holding my breath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home