<

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Yesterday I went downtown to get the paperwork done to get licensed to perform weddings in the county. . .

First I stopped at the diocesan office to get a little photo ID that proved I was ordained so I didn't have to drag my framed-in-glass ordination certificate down to the courthouse.

I finally found my way to the correct office in the courthouse. Now it's always a trip to go to a lcoal courthouse to start--I've been with parishioners for trials and divorce hearings, and family court. . .it's such a crossroads of people--well-dressed lawyers, people just barely surviving. . .

It turned out that the minister's licenses were in the same room as the marriage licenses.

Let me tell you, in a room full of people waiting to get married (there were people in long dresses and tuxes, just waiting to see a judge), a woman entering the room wearing black and a collar can really stop the conversation.

7 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger kay_okc said...

Sounds to me like you had the perfect audience. If they would have let you go to the front of the line you could have started up business in the hallway!! lol

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Emily, that's a great story. Did you get any job offers?

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son's first AND second marriage (don't ask it's a long story) were at the county courthouse and I was there both times taking pictures.
I wish you'd come across the street and visited me in my office at the library while you were Downtown. We've got some great knitting books!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Anita--

we'll make a date of it--I'm downtown usually once a week or so!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger anummabrooke said...

I wonder if some of them thought that perhaps a fire-and-brimstone harangue against "godless" justice-of-the-peace weddings was forthcoming. Though now I think of it, the "huh...woman...collar..." brainfreeze may have pre-empted any other response.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

And you didn't have any business cards?

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Jonah said...

After you've visited Anita, stop by OUHSC and meet another member of the RevGal ring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home