<

Thursday, November 30, 2006

noodling around

I used to have a major cooking obsession.

It didn't always involve the actual cooking. I had a subscription to Bon Appetit, and hauled the back issues (10+years) around from Tucson to seminary to St. Louis until finally I decided to lighten that load. I still have most of my cookbooks, and piles of clipped recipes. It didn't help that St. Louis had both Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table, full of shiny kitchen toys.

But somewhere along the way I lost my cooking mojo. Not that I ever cooked all that much, but I wasn't so interested in my cookbooks, or getting new toys. Losing interest in stocking our kitchen with gadgets is not a bad thing, but I did wonder why I never seemed to have any interest or energy for the kitchen.

A funny thing happened on the way to Thanksgiving. When I was in the kitchen on Thanksgiving morning with my 10 pounds of russets, a vegetable peeler, and a deadline for making a batch of mashed potatoes for the first time for a major cultural feast day, I realized how much I was actually enjoying it.

So it's been back in the kitchen for me.

Last night I played around with one of those long-ago clipped recipes (from a Williams-Sonoma catalog, no less). The original recipe called for tagliatelle with sweet Italian sausage and leeks. Always a sucker for leeks. By the time I was done, it was egg noodles with chicken/apple sausage and leeks.

Yum. And since Husband doesn't do remains of the night before, I get the leftovers.

Needs more leeks, though.

4 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

What's the word for a doppelganger who is not evil? That's you, or me, depending on one's perspective :)

I still have many issues of Bon Appetit, filed by month. Ask my husband about piles of Cooking Light (somewhat more kid-friendly). Lots and lots of clipped recipes. Some are actually organized into a couple or three 3-ring binders.

But I hadn't looked at any of that for many months... until just before Thanksgiving. Now I'm cooking again. Funny, that.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Emily said...

It's hopeless!

Were we separated at birth or something?

Now I know who to turn to if I can't find a recipe from BA, though.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Yum! You may need to keep an eye out for arrival of hungry visitors! : )

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of our favorite recipes is from a very old Bon Apetit... Triple Berry Pie. We just made it a few weeks ago, and had friends over to share it with us, along with some other pies... and they loved the Triple Berry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home