<

Monday, January 09, 2006

and a revgal moment

So after church on Sunday at the parish I supply at regularly, we go out for lunch at a local diner. It's a great place, the food is plentiful and reasonably priced, one can get fried okra, and after a couple of visits, the server remembers your order.

But it's always crowded, and sometimes we have to wait to pull together some constellation of tables and chairs for the Episcopal crowd. So while we were rearranging the furniture on Sunday, a woman seated at one of the tables reaches up and offers me a hand. "Hi, I'm so-and-so." I shook her hand back, trying desperately to think if I've run into her before. I've supplied at so many places since our arrival in Oklahoma that I'm not always sure who I've met and who I haven't. She kept shaking my hand enthusiastically, adding that she knew the previous Rector at that parish, and finally she added, "I'm Catholic." So I said, "that's fine with me," (negative points for lack of creative response, but I said it with a twinkle and a smile) and she responded, looking meaningfully at my collar, "and you're fine with me, too."

Too bad I didn't have one of those RevGalBlogPals "Yes, Virginia, they DO ordain women" t-shirts on me.

4 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Ahhhh--I can't think on my feet either. ;)

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Jonah said...

They should make that a button as well, so folk can hand that out at appropriate moments.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger see-through faith said...

ROFL

yes badges! or buttons! or postcards! or tracks!

this is priceless

did you find out who she was though? (grin!)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger kwpershey said...

great story!!

and it's good that you said what you said, because it gave her a chance to throw it back atcha in a really meaningful way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home