<

Monday, January 16, 2006

FO! FO!

 


When last Beth saw this, it was in pieces. I worked on it as my project for an Intermediate Knitting class last winter back in St. Louis at Knitorious. I made a couple of good faith efforts at finishing it, but when I realized I had made some mistakes fitting the drop shoulders in, I got frustrated, and it languished around our apartment in St. Louis, got packed for the move to OKC, and sat in its bag IN THE GARAGE here while I procrastinated dealing with it. (I. Have. No. Issues.)

Finally, Margaret helped me with my mattress stitch skills, and I finished the one side, but the other side was going to require MATH (liberal arts major here), or at least the ability to hold a measuring tape without stretching it, so I was grateful when Clanci started offering a finishing service through Gourmet Yarn.

Spiritual lesson learned: Having this sitting around kept me from starting another sweater. It's very liberating to have it done.

Knitting lessons learned: To watch carefully while working with variegated hand-dyed yarns. The skeins behaved very differently while knitting up. I had to alternate skeins on some pieces in order to not have major odd pooling. Also, Margaret taught me how to fix holes I created when I did the neckline and shoulders. When we were sitting there working with it, I couldn't believe how far I had come in being able to 'read' what I had done wrong.

Specs: Pullover from 'Hip to Knit' by Judith Swartz
Yarn: Araucania Nature Wool (I think it was the chunky version). But please don't ask how much or what size needles and all that. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Beautiful sweater (even prettier in person). Well done, well done. What are starting next?

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Bravo! Doesn't it feel good to have it done? I love the color and texture.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

great job! I know the yarn you used - I have used it for felting!
I know it feels good to be finished with a project! Hooray!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Good job!

(after that little tale, I'm crossing my fingers in advance--before I get to my sleeves)

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Beth said...

The garage, Emily? The GARAGE? Well, I suppose it must have forgiven you. It looks great, and any time you're willing to wear the "first" it's an accomplishment. My first two ended up 1)ripped and donated and 2)in the garbage. Good work.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Emily said...

B--But it's a very nice garage lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home